The summer of 1777 was a frustrating time for George Washington. The British fleet had sailed from the New York harbor, but where had they gone? Acting on a conjecture that the fleet was bound for Philadelphia, Washington set his troops marching from Morristown, New Jersey to camp at the Cross roads in Warwick Township on the last day of July. The next morning, August 1st, they resumed their march toward the city and arrived at the “plains” near Germantown (above the Falls of the Schuylkill). While his men camped, Washington inspected Philadelphia’s fortifications and spoke with Congress. He also attended a dinner in his honor where he met the Marquis de Lafayette. On August 8th, Washington held a grand review of the troops. After the review, the soldiers marched toward Coryell’s Ferry (now New Hope) in the intense August heat. Washington decided to camp at the Cross Roads on August 8th until future word came about the British. He was to remain there for almost two weeks. As the Moland House was the best finished house in the neighborhood, Washington used it as his headquarters. On August 21st, Washington held a Council of War to determine what the best course of action might be. The decision was to march toward Coryell’s Ferry, but then a courier delivered news of a sighting of the British fleet in the Chesapeake. On August 23rd at 4AM, the main body of the American army began pulling out of the Neshaminy encampment toward Philadelphia. (born 1732-died 1799)
Page under construction.