Warwick Township, founded by petition February 13, 1733, was named after a small town in central England. Prior to 1819, the Township boundaries were more extensive and were adjusted when Doylestown Township was established. It is located in Bucks County in Eastern Pennsylvania, north of Philadelphia.
Neshaminy-Warwick Church is very close to Moland House. It is believed that Washington did attend church during the encampment, on August 17th. The guard that went with him consisted of Captain Gibbs, a Corporal of the guard, and eight privates. Alexander Hamilton and Robert Hanson Harrison also went with him. After the service, Hamilton joined John Laurens, and Light Horse Harry Lee and left for Philadelphia, to escort the Marquis de Lafayette to the Crossroads. They arrived at the Headquarters on the afternoon of the
19th. Click here for a history of the church.
During this encampment, Washington issued an order for a general court martial “for the trial of all prisoners of the horse which shall be brought before them.” The court martial was held in the church sanctuary and included the trial of Captain Henry Lee, charged with “disobedience of orders”. After hearing the evidence, the Court’s unanimous opinion was that the charges against him were groundless and he was “acquitted with honor”. Lee went on to a legendary career as “Light Horse Harry”, governor of Virginia, congressman and father of Robert E. Lee.